Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

I can't believe it's February already.  I thought I better start thinking about Valentine's Day, I mean it's only 12 days away--crazy!!  

My husband and I are going on that cruise (are sick of hearing about it yet--it's our first one so I am kinda excited) so that's our present to each other, but we always like to do something special for the kiddos.  Plus everything for dinner that day will be red, kinda silly but the kids love it.  This year, this is going to be our dessert.
This is an amazing cupcake and absolutely perfect for Valentines (and all year round if you want).  Red Velvet just says smooth and decadent to me.  Not to mention, have you ever tried to describe what the flavor is exactly in red velvet.  I've been sitting here for 15 minutes trying to describe it and I can't.  You just have to taste one.  So go on and do it, make some tonight or for Valentines Day.  Your special ones will love it!

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting












Cake:
2½ cup flour
1½ cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp (1 oz.) liquid red food coloring
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp distilled white vinegar
Frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
5 tbsp butter, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
2½ cup confectioners’ sugar

1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line cupcake pans with paper liners.  In a medium bowl, combine the cake flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt; whisk to blend.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the eggs, vegetable oil, buttermilk, food coloring, vanilla and vinegar.  Beat on medium speed until well blended.  Mix in the dry ingredients on low speed and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.
2.  Divide the batter evenly between the prepared liners ( a scoop works great for this).  Bake, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18 minutes.  Let cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
3.  To make the frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer.  Beat on medium-high speed until well combined and smooth, about 2-3 minutes.  Mix in the vanilla extract.  Gradually beat in the confectioners’ sugar until totally incorporated, increase the speed and then beat until smooth.  Frost cooled cupcakes as desired. 
*If you like a lot of frosting on your cupcakes, you may want to increase the quantities by 50%.  That is what I typically do for a batch of 24 cupcakes.  I usually end up with some left over, but I would rather have too much frosting than not enough.

18 comments:

Lilianna Grace said...

Love red velvet cupcakes. My red velvet ingredients have been sitting on the counter for three days, waiting for their trasformation. I've given myself a deadline of Friday morning....thanks for reminding me :)

Lilianna Grace said...

P.S. The photo is awesome!

Allison Bonar said...

These look yummy! I can't wait to try them. I found you on wandering Wendesday. www.twinglemommmy.blogspot.com

Amelia@SavoryandSweet said...

red velvet cake is my favorite! I love the idea of having a red meal for your kids. My boys would think this is so cool.:)
Have a great day.

Mormishmom said...

So fun to find your yummy blog! Thanks for coming over to Funky PolkaDot Giraffe!

Deana said...

I hopped over here from Paisley Passions Wandering Wednesdays and I love your blog. These cupcakes look divine. Yum! Thanks for sharing all your great recipes!

-Deana @ www.countrybymarriage.com

Brandie@thecountrycook said...

These look fantastic! I do love red velvet cake and it's even better when it's in cupcake form. :)

{Emily} said...

I think i snuck one of these when i came down for Sarah's Baptism. & it was your last one..oops. Yet so delicious! [:

Jami said...

These sound so good! Just what I have been craving!

RedTedArt said...

Oh these look divine!!! Yummy

Thank you for linking up!!

Maggy

Desi said...

These look delish! I love red velvet anything! Thanks for stopping by my blog and following... I am following you back!

Kathy McIntyre said...

Made these yesterday for the birthday treats for the kiddos in seminary! Big hit!!!

Angela said...

looks good and fun please follow me back

Angela said...

I just grabbed a button for my blog love your stuff

It's a Keeper said...

Thanks for linking up to the It's a Keeper Thursday blog hop! I hope you come back this Thursday and link something new!



It's a Keeper
http://www.everydaytastes.com/
http://twitter.com/itsakeeperblog
http://www.facebook.com/ItsAKeeper

EveryDay Bloom said...

Ok I'm like...2 years late, but I printed off your red velvet cupcake recipe just now (hope that cruise was delightful) and I think I can answer for what does red velvet taste like exactly? It is about nuances and hints (just a tablespoon of cocoa powder). It is richness, without total commitment. (=
Thanks for sharing. Lynaea @ EverydayBloom.com

Cherished Handmade Treasures said...

YUM! I love cupcakes, cream cheese frosting and red velvet. Thanks for sharing them with us on the Creative Corner Hop.

Sandy
Cherished Handmade Treasures

Chandra Sirois said...

ooh redvelvet and blueberries! Great Idea! Thanks for linking at Show Me Your Plaid Monday's!

Post a Comment

Blogging tips