Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Berry Cobbler

We have a great group of friends that get together once a month in the summer and eat delicious food.  Each month is a different theme but it all has to be cooked in the dutch oven.  

Cobblers are very popular in dutch ovens but I admit I am not a huge fan.  

You see I have this texture issue.  If anything is slimy or squishy I  have a very hard time swallowing and not throwing up.  Sorry, maybe that's too much info.

Cobbler is one of those slimy, squishy things for me.  IF I have to make one I just made a crisp, mmm...so much better.

This time I found this recipe and it was completely homemade.  Most cobblers are made with cake mixes and pops and I think that's where the texture issue starts.  Anyways, I decided that I needed to give this one a chance.

I am so glad I did.

It was absolutely delicious.  There was no slimyness going on and the blueberries were so yummy.  This recipe would work great in a 9x13 in your oven or in the dutch oven or in the dutch oven in your oven :)!  So many options, I hope you try one.


Berry Cobbler


Cobbler:
3 c. all-purpose flour, lightly spooned into the measuring cup and leveled with a knife
1/4 t. table salt
2 1/2 T. baking powder
1 1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. salted butter
2 eggs
1 c. heavy cream
zest of one lemon or orange (completely optional but the lemon is awesome with blueberries)
4 c. berries (blueberries or blackberries)
1/2 c. brown sugar

Streusel Topping:

1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. + 1 T. flour
1 t. cinnamon
4 T. butter, softened

1.  Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9×13″ baking dish and set aside.  In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, and citrus zest. Set aside.

2.  Using a cheese grater, grate 1 cold stick of butter. Lightly toss the butter with flour mixture until it’s mixed evenly and crumbly, don't over-mix. Whisk the eggs and then lightly toss them with the flour/butter mixture until evenly absorbed. Add in the cream and mix until combined; the mixture should be quite sticky and a little lumpy, like biscuit dough. Lightly press about 1 1/2 c. of the dough mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan and set it aside.

3.  Toss the berries with the brown sugar and spread it over the prepared “crust.” Drop the remaining dough over the berries and set aside.

4.  Whisk together the sugar, flour, and cinnamon for the struesel topping. Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over the dough and bake for 45-55 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the crust is cooked through. Serve warm with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.  Enjoy!



Blogging tips