Friday, July 8, 2011

Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes

Today I decided to get all of my errands done, or at least attempt to do so.  

Errands like wash the car (very important to my 4 year old), go to the bank, pick up the 2 things I forgot on my grocery list, drop off random forgotten items of friends that have been sitting around my house for several weeks, going to Sonic to get a diet coke (very important to me), dropping my son off at violin lessons, and the list goes on.
One of our stops was Target.  I sure have a love/hate relationship with that store.  I love all the wonderful things I find (seriously have you checked out the $1 area) but I sure hate how empty my pocketbook is when I leave.

Anyways...I had 3 of my own children with me and my niece (she's only 7 months old and staying with us for several days).  We were stopping to get my niece some baby items which I don't have around my house anymore since my 4 year old is not into bibs, baby spoons, or sippy cups.

And guess what I saw........okay I will just tell you.

SCHOOL SUPPLIES.

S.E.R.I.O.U.S.L.Y?

Didn't school get out like 1 month ago?

I couldn't believe my eyes.  Well I probably could but come on, school doesn't start for another 2 months.  

I am trying to enjoy this break so I have a message for you Target, you just put all that stuff away so I don't have to think about spending my inheritance to get 3 kids ready for school this fall and I can enjoy this hot, summer break with my kids.  

And if the truth be known, so I can also sit at home eating these amazing cupcakes with my Sonic diet coke.  I know I have a thing with chocolate and peanut butter, but hey I can't help it, it's amazing!

Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes


Filling:
1 c. powdered sugar sugar
3/4 c. creamy peanut butter
4 T. unsalted butter, softened
1/2 t.. vanilla extract

Cake:
1 2/3 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 c. sour cream
2 T. milk
1 t. vanilla extract
8 T. unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 large eggs

Frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
4 T. unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
3 1/2 c. powdered sugar sugar
1 c. frozen whipped topping, thawed

Chocolate chips, for garnish

1.  Preheat the oven to 350° F.  Line two cupcake pans with paper liners.  To make the filling, combine the powdered sugar, peanut butter, butter and vanilla extract in a bowl.  Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined.  Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls (at least 24) and place on a baking sheet.  Refrigerate until ready to use.

2.  To make the cake batter, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; whisk together and set aside.  In a liquid measuring cup, stir together the sour cream, milk and vanilla extract.  In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar, and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed.  With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the dry ingredients and the sour cream mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.  Mix just until incorporated.

3.  Spoon about two tablespoons of batter into the bottom of each cupcake liner.  Place a ball of the peanut butter filling in each cupcake well and top with the remaining batter so that all the cups are filled.  Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

4.  To make the frosting, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese, butter and peanut butter until smooth.  Slowly mix in the powdered sugar, beating until smooth and well blended.  Mix in the whipped topping until smooth and fluffy.  Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.  Top with chocolate chips.  Enjoy!

Source:  Annie's Eats

43 comments:

Lark (SparkyLarky) said...

These cupcakes look AWESOME! I love the photo's. :)

*And I agree, it seems that the stores are always at least 2 months ahead of the holiday. I am surprised they havent done a "Christmas in July". UGH!

Just Jaime said...

YUMMY! What a great idea. Great photos too!

Megan Brooke said...

I'm hopping over from Whipperberry. These look soo yummy! P.S. I always leave with an empty wallet when I go to Target too :)

Jen (Mama Schell) said...

Those sound totally delish! and your photos are Ah-Maz-ING!

~j

angie @ the cellar door stories said...

you had me at peanut butter....YUM!

Ellen Zames said...

Oh my goodness these look good!

We are having a themed linky party over at my blog, (Everyday Sisters Sharing Sundays) and this weeks theme is chocolate. The link will be up tonight beginning at 8 pm Please come by and link up a few of your favorite chocolate recipes! We hope to see you there.

http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com

Ellen

Desi said...

Those are just too pretty. Almost too pretty to eat. I said almost :) Love your presentation!

I wanted to let you know about my cookbook giveaway that is going on right now until July 16th. Stop on by to enter! Hope you are having a great week :)

http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-first-giveaway.html

Henrietta said...

Whoa! My last post was also about chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting! I'll have to try it with the PB filling next time though. Your cupcakes look great!

Kim McCallie said...

I love to find a creamy surprise inside my cupcakes. And, that frosting looks absolutely divine! I'd like to invite you to share your recipe on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/07/sweet-indulgences-sunday-12.html

Why Just Eat said...

These look amazing. I'm willing to risk a sugar come to try them :)

Kristy said...

Mmmmm!!! Those look so yummy!!!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Kristy said...

ps...thanks for the printable version! (my kiddos have voted this for dessert tonight!) ;)

Kristin said...

Oh my, this looks delicious! There is nothing better than peanut butter and chocolate. I am not surprised about the school supplies, I went into a store before Halloween and they already had Christmas decorations up like it was December. They totally bypassed the other 2 holidays.
Thanks for sharing the recipe,
Holy Cannoli Recipes

Felicia @ All Things Fee said...

Seriously? Chocolate and Peanut Butter. Yum.

Please stop by and share at Calling All Crafters!

http://allthingsfee.blogspot.com/2011/07/calling-all-crafters-15th-edition.html

Brandi @ Frugal Farmhouse said...

Here from Melt in your Mouth monday.. this looks fantastic! I'll def. have to try it :)

newbiemama said...

I was totally freaking out when I saw all the ads in the paper yesterday for school supplies! I'm just BARELY getting into the summer groove, now I've got to get ready for school? Ugh. Kill me. Or at least let me take a nap. Anyway, this cupcake looks divine and the photography--amazing! Love to see you around my place sometime!

http://confessionsofaslackermom.blogspot.com

Bev said...

Those look so yummy. Who doesn't love peanut butter and chocolate. As far as school supplies, we only have a couple of weeks left of summer the kids here go back August 4th. It seems earlier and earlier each year.

Jenni said...

Oh my goodness, these look amazing!

Simply_Tea said...

Oh yummy - peanut butter & chocolate my two vices! But oh so delicious! What a great combination! Love your little cupcake stands! Cute

Jennifer said...

These looks soooo good! I love peanut butter and chocolate! I love your cake stands!

ladybehindthecurtain.com said...

This looks so good. I would love it if you came over to Cast Party Wednesday tomorrow and shared some of your recipes with us.
Thanks,
I hope to see you there!

Antigone (Staci) said...

Those cupcakes look divine! Can't wait to try them. And seriously, school supplies already? Don't even want to think about it!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

These look so good. I love the photos. And I agree about Target. I needed water balloons and they were OUT with no plan to get more. IT'S JULY. I don't need folders and erasers. I need water toys!

Lark (SparkyLarky) said...

So glad you linked these up to "Made it on Monday"!

I am still drooling! (lol)

Amy said...

These cupcakes look amazing and I want 1 or 2 now. I totally agree with you on the love/hate relationship with Target! LOL...I feel just the same way. Have a wonderful summer with you kids...just try to ignore the Target school supply section if you could! LOL.

Take care,
Amy

Brittany said...

My kids would love this! I must try it.

P.S. I am having a giveaway on my blog. There are great organizational tools and charts for both moms and kids.

Sweet Peas and Bumblebees said...

These look unbelievably delicious! I can't wait to make some!! Thanks for sharing!!

btanders said...

Yummy! My dad has a birthday coming up. I think we will have to try to make these!

The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Saw these at Whipperberry and had to come right over! YUM. Have pinned these for future reference!

Mrs Happy Homemaker said...

Oh. my. gosh. Divine!!

KB said...

Looks delish.

We'd love you to share your recipes with us at
Simply Delish Saturday

mary kathryn @ mathews family happenings said...

oh MY, these look DELISH. Can't wait to give them a try! I'm visiting from the Show and Tell party.

Life-n-Reflection said...

Just when I thought cupcakes couldn't get any better!

Jennifer said...

I'm back again! I came across this post at Skip To Lou and I love it!

I'm hosting a linky party at my blog Fusion Fridays { http://janedeereblog.blogspot.com }

I would love it if you would link up!

sheryl said...

Thank you for sharing your recipes with me at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you will come back tomorrow and share more of your recipes.
Thanks,
I hope to see you there!

The Undercover Cook said...

These look so tasty!!

Erin @ How to Nest for Less said...

LOVE THIS! I'll be featuring it on my blog tomorrow as one of my favorite projects of the week! Hope you can visit. www.howtonestforless.com

a happy wanderer said...

peanut butter chocolate cupcakes?!?!!?? seriously?!?!?! i think i've died and gone to heaven. now to find someone to make them for me...

Lindsay said...

I want one of those right now! These look amazing! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!

I would love to have you link this up to my first link party--

http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/08/show-share-1.html

If I had Words... said...

what a delicious looking recipe! I can't wait to try it!

Lori said...

I had a slight problem with these. Although utterly delicious, my cake was a little dry and I froze the pb balls like some suggested. the peanut butter stayeed in a ball shaped instead of expanding out towards the whole cupcake like yours showed? Any ideas what I did wrong?
Thanks

karen p said...

I too had a problem with the batter.....mine was a little dry and not sweet enough I think. My batter ended up being to thick when mixing seems. I swear I followed the recipe perfectly. When I baked them the cake on the top was hard almost shiny like meringues...so strange. I am still contemplating icing them because I am not sure they will taste any better. However the lemon blueberry cupcakes I made from your recipe were AH-MAZING!!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Vera Zecevic said...

This sounds awesome.I've featured this recipe on my blog, hoping that you don't mind, but if you do, please contact me and I'll remove it. All the best.

Post a Comment

Blogging tips