Monday, February 6, 2012

Chocolate Heart Macaroons

 Does anybody else get excited about Valentine's Day?

I surely do.  I love a good excuse to make all things pink and red and make up lovey/mushy things for the hubs and my kids (especially the boys because they think it's "gross!").

I also love all the red velvet (soon to come I promise) and hearts that I see around.  I have such a hard time resisting them especially mints.  I picked up these bad boys at the store and thought I totally have to use those and what better way than in a cookie.

Now coconut is a sensitive subject.  At least at our house.  The kids won't touch it if it has coconut (and unbeknownst to them sometimes I add it to things just so they won't want any--I know, mean mom!).

But the hubs and I love coconut so anytime I can make a dessert with coconut I jump at the chance.  I made these for an adult party we went to (one of those tame adult parties not the "other" ones--just in case you were wondering!)

They were a hit and were gone almost immediately.  I loved them but then again I love coconut, chocolate and mint.  So if that is you, this is the perfect recipe for you.  Absolutely delicious!!

Chocolate Heart Macaroons

(click here for printable version)

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 large egg yolk
1 tbsp vanilla
4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
25-30 York Peppermint Patties (Nestle hearts work great too)

1.  Preheat oven to 350°F.  In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.

2.  In another medium bowl beat sugar and butter until creamy.  Add egg yolk and vanilla; beat well.  Add flour mixture and beat until well combined.  Stir in coconut.  Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm enough to handle.

3.  Shape dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on un-greased baking sheet.  Bake 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.  Remove from oven and immediately press 1 heart on top of each macaroon.  Cool one minute and then remove to wire racks to cool completely.  Enjoy!

Source: adapted slightly from Nestle
Blogging tips