Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Perfectly Cooked Chicken in 10 minutes

Oh I love quick and easy tricks.  

This is one of those my friends.  Sometimes, let's face it, it's 5 o'clock and nothing is ready for dinner.  The kids are whining they are hungry and you have no idea what to make.

This is me at least several times a week.  I love to cook but sometimes I completely space getting ready for dinner (truthfully it's more like I don't want to so I ignore it!!).  

In our house we love our meats but if I have to wait for chicken to cook then that eliminates at least half of my recipes.  But I was browsing one of the cooking blogs I frequent and she had the easiest tip for cooking chicken.

And I thought DUH!  Totally makes sense.  10 minutes flat and you have perfect chicken.

Awesome!!!

Now for the disclaimer: for all of you out there that think the microwave is going to kill you this is not a post for you.  You better stop reading right now and go somewhere else because this is all about the wonderful powers of the microwave.

Perfectly Cooked Chicken in 10 minutes

(click here for printable version)

2-4 boneless, skinless chicken (you don't want it be to be frozen)

1.  Fill a 9 x 13 pan (if you are only using 1-2 chicken breasts then you can go smaller but if you are cooking 4 stick with a 9 x 13) with about 1/2 inch of water.  Place chicken into water and cover with plastic wrap.  Cook in the microwave until chicken is done, about 10 minutes.  If you breasts are large you might need a couple extra minutes.

2.  Remove carefully from microwave--it will be very hot.  Let sit 2 minutes and then remove plastic wrap.  Place on cutting board and shred or chop to your liking.   Enjoy!

Note: This process essentially cooks the chicken in a steam bath so chicken should be juicy and moist instead of dry and tough.

Blogging tips