Monday, October 15, 2012

Salted Caramel Sauce

We have been eating apples like crazy at our house.  It has been so delicious.  I can't seem to get enough.

I got 2 bushels to make into applesauce and we are going to be lucky if we have any left.  I got them from a local orchard and they are absolutely amazing.  Crisp, juicy, and so sweet.

And of course, you have to have caramel apples at least once a week.  It is imperative.  Life simply couldn't exist if you didn't.  

I have all sorts of caramel recipes at my house but this is the best one I have for caramel apples.  It is thick enough for dipping, and hardens fast enough for the apples.  So scrumptious, my mouth is watering just thinking about them.

Salted Caramel Sauce

(click here for printable version)


1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup whipping cream
3 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 – 1 tsp coarse sea salt (add to your preference)

1.  Cook sugar, syrup and whip cream over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until it reaches 230 degrees on a candy thermometer.  Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.  Serve warm or dip apples immediately in caramel and let cool.

2.  Refrigerate left overs.  When reheating do not allow it to boil or it will get grainy and harden when put on ice cream.  Enjoy!

Source: Your Homebased Mom

15 comments:

{Emily} said...

Why do you do this to me?? I want these to snack on. Yum. [:

Sue said...

Oh my gosh...my mouth is watering!

Shannon Barefoot said...

This looks so good!! Thanks for sharing :)
I would love if you would share this at my link party going on right now:

http://sewingbarefoot.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-weekly-creative-4.html

Thanks!
Shannon @ Sewing Barefoot

The CSI Girl said...

I hope you will share this at The CSI project starting tonight! The challenge is Fall Food and this is perfect! I am pinning and trying soon!!!
Come on over! Link ups begin tonight around 8.
www.thecsiproject.com

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

I hope it's not inappropriate to say I would like to just drink this sauce straight from that dainty little mason jar. Forget them apples, I want the sauce. Now.

Carrie said...

This looks divine!! I would have to agree with Hayley...drink this right from the jar!!

Would love for you to share this at my very first linky party. My sister and I are working together over at “Think Tank Thursday”…hope to see you there!
http://www.saving4six.com/2012/10/welcome-to-think-tank-thursday-1.html

Sara said...

oh wow, this looks so good, I'm pinning it now and hopefully will make it soon!

Rachel said...

I'm going to try this, Looks super good. Now I just need to pick some more apples from grandma's tree.
Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
Rachel
adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

Emily said...

ooooo, just like the starbucks drink :o) Thank you for linking to Tasteful Tuesdays at Nap-Time Creations. You are being featured at this weeks party! Hope you can stop by and check out the feature, grab a featured button...and link up again this week. I'm hoping for 200 links this week :o) The link goes live at 8:30 pm central time. http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2012/10/baked-chicken-pesto-sandwhiches-and.html

Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box said...

I had no idea making salted caramel sauce was so easy! You've persuaded me to run to the store and raid all their apples so I can dip them in the sauce! Pinning :)

Alexis @ we like to learn as we go said...

This sounds amazing! I'm going to take my girls apple picking next week and was looking for recipes to do with apples. This is perfect! I'm featuring this tomorrow!

Jill @Two Yellow Birds Decor said...

Mmm! This sounds so good! My mouth is watering just looking at the dripping caramel! Thanks so much for sharing at Thursday's Temptation. I am going to be featuring your sauce tonight on my blog!
Jill

Heidi said...

Yum! We have an abundance of apples right now. I can't wait to try out this recipe! ~Heidi

Laura J. said...

I read the recipe several times...at what point do you put in the salt?

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing..

Post a Comment

Blogging tips