Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Crock Pot Sloppy Joes--A Farmgirl Original


Pin It

We have had the coldest winter. I don't remember a colder one since I was young. It use to be totally normal to have snow on the ground all through winter, but not in the past 15 years, it has been super mild.

Because of the cold we spend a lot of time inside.  When the high is not even in the teens for weeks at a time and the low is in the negatives we try to stay as warm as possible.  

And my favorite method for staying warm is making delicious food. And it gives me lots of time to experiment and try new things.  One of my goals this year is to make my very own recipe.

Well guess what!!!!!

I did it and it turned out fantastic.  I thought I would start out with something that needed a little update. Sloppy Joes get a bad rap for being disgusting (just ask my kids about their school ones---uuggghhh so gross!!).  Well I wanted to change that and what better way than throwing it in the crock pot (what a wonderful invention that thing is!).

All of us absolutely loved this.  I was so shocked on how well it turned out.  Sometimes you just never know what to expect, especially as you are just guessing in the beginning, but wow!!  This is our new favorite by far for dinner.  Hope you try it and love it as much as we did.

Crock Pot Sloppy Joes

(click here for printable version)

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 cup cooked, chopped bacon
1 small onion, diced finely
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp prepared mustard
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Buns, toasted (I used this homemade version)

1.  In a large frying pan, over medium high heat, cook beef and onion until meat is completely cooked through and onions are soft.  Transfer mixture to the bowl of your crockpot. Add garlic, tomatoes, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, lemon juice, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, salt, and pepper.  Stir till completely combined and incorporated.

2. Cover and cook on low 5-6 hours.  Serve on toasted buns with your favorite cheese (we love Havarti).  Enjoy!
Blogging tips