Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Rock Salt Roasted Chicken

Growing up we raised chickens for many years.  

We raised laying hens and we raised meat chickens.  I was the primary care taker of the chickens and most of the time I didn't mind it.  Except when one of them died.  Then I would kinda freak out and beg one of my brothers to remove it for me (and sometime I will have to tell you a traumatic brother chasing sister with dead chicken story).

But because of that our chickens were frozen whole.  When we wanted to cook one my mom would thaw it out (and these babies averaged at least 9 pounds a piece) and she would roast/boil/cut up or do whatever she needed to do with it.  So whole chickens are very familiar to me.

When I saw this recipe I was so excited to try it because it reminded so much of growing up.  Plus I love the rotisserie chickens from the store and would love to have a way to make them on my own at home.

This chicken turned out absolutely fabulous.  It was super easy to throw in the oven and the chicken was so moist and flavorful that there will be no more boughten rotisserie chickens anymore for me.  Plus the leftovers are great for making another fabulous recipe (I will be sharing my favorite next week).

Rock Salt Roasted Chicken


1 whole chicken
4 pound box rock salt 
1 lemon
3-4 sprigs parsley
3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced

1. Preheat oven to 400°F.  Line a 9X13-inch pan with foil and pour rock salt into the pan, making a thick, smooth layer. Set aside.

2. Remove and discard everything from the inside of the chicken (if included). Rinse chicken inside and out, draining thoroughly. Dry with paper towels. Generously salt and pepper inside and outside of the chicken. With a fork, poke holes all over the lemon. Place the lemon, parsley and garlic into the cavity of the chicken. Secure the chicken closed with some kitchen string. Place the chicken on the bed of salt. Bake for 40 minutes. Carefully flip the chicken over and bake for another 40-50 minutes until cooked through (or until meat thermometer reaches 165 degrees at the thickest part of the chicken breast). Remove from oven, let cool 5 minutes and serve warm.  Enjoy!




Blogging tips